Export, Innovate, Invest - The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service

Import Regulations - Sweden

Since Sweden is a member of the European Union (EU), the common customs tariffs apply. However, there are also some national regulations in the areas of safety and health, as well as requirements for certification, inspection, labelling and marking of certain commodities.

EU regulations:

Conformity to European standards or CE marking:

Various products sold to and within the EU should be CE marked. This marking provides information to the authorities that the importer/manufacturer affirms that all requirements are fulfilled and that the company is able to provide this affirmation by means of solid documentation. The documentation should contain a Declaration of Conformity (Manufacturer's Declaration) and a Technical File, which also includes a test report. Options for products with minimal risk include self-certification, where the manufacturer prepares a Declaration of Conformity and affixes the CE Marking to its own product. Many directives require products/systems with greater risks to be independently certified. This must be done by a Notified Body for the following:

  • Air traffic management equipment and systems
  • Appliances burning gaseous fuels
  • Cableway installations to carry persons
  • Low voltage electrical equipment
  • Construction products
  • Equipment and protective systems for used in potentially explosive atmospheres
  • Explosives for civil uses
  • Hot water boilers
  • Lifts
  • Machinery
  • Marine equipment
  • Medical devices
  • Active implantable medical devices
  • In vitro diagnostic medical devices
  • Non-automatic weighing instruments
  • Radio equipment and telecommunications terminal equipment
  • Personal protective equipment
  • Simple pressure vessels
  • Pressure equipment
  • Recreational craft
  • Toys
  • Trans-European conventional rail system.

(The number of commodities that need CE marking is constantly growing.)

It is the importers responsibility to ensure that the good is CE marked.

CSA testing in Canada can provide CE marking.

Product coding:

All goods are classified and assigned a ten-digit commodity code in accordance with the international Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System, which in turn constitutes the basis of the EU customs tariff, TARIC. Customs tariffs are the same in all European Community member states.

The value added tax in Sweden is 25% (12 % for foodstuffs, and 6% for books and magazines). VAT is added to the cost of the product when it reaches the consumer i.e. at the time of purchase and, contrary to the practice in Canada, is included on the price tag; keep this in mind when pricing your product. All products, regardless of their origin, are subject to the VAT. Apart from the VAT and the customs duty there may be additional taxes and fees, depending on the commodity being imported into Sweden. The TARIC codes are the key to finding the correct duty rate to be applied. On the Swedish customs Web site you can search by product code to find the customs duty on your product. General information on Swedish Customs. You can also contact the Canadian Border Service Agency.

Import licences:

As a consequence of Sweden´s membership in the EU, iron and steel not originating in Western Europe require an import licence. These types of licences are handled by the National Board of Trade. Other examples of goods that need import licences or special permits are weapons, explosives, drugs, poisons, animals and plants of endangered species and certain fish products. The Swedish Board of Agriculture handles all permits for animals and plants. Potential importers of alcoholic beverages should contact the Public Health Agency of Sweden for an import license. Permits for all foodstuffs are issued by the National Food Administration. A local partner should be aware of all import licenses required.


Labelling of products must be in the Swedish language. There are special labelling requirements for food, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and other chemicals. All food products on sale in Sweden must be marked in Swedish. The label should include a list of ingredients (in descending order of weight), net metric weight or volume, name of company or origin and best before date. The National Food Administration handles all information on food labelling.

For cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, Canadians may seek advice from the Medical Products Agency, which has a full report on labelling on its Web site. Advice on labelling of chemical products, as well as information about the national regulations on placement of chemical products on the Swedish market, can be sought from the National Chemical Inspectorate.

More information on tariffs and trade:

Date Modified: