The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, along with the Government of Canada, provide funding programs to help take your business to the next level. Find out which funding programs are right for you, the type of financial assistance they provide and how to apply.
- Global Commerce Support Program
- International Science and Technology Partnerships Program (ISTPP)
- Other Funding Opportunities
Global Commerce Support Program
The Global Commerce Support Program (GCSP) is a contribution program that amalgamates three funding programs for Canadian national associations, communities, companies and researchers.
- For Canadian national associations seeking to undertake new or expanded international business development activities, in strategic markets and sectors, for the benefit of an entire industry (member and non-member firms).
- Allows for annual non-repayable contributions ranging from a minimum of $20,000 to a maximum of $150,000 over a one-year period from April 1 to March 31. Provides matching funds of up to 50% of eligible expenses.
- For Canadian communities aiming at attracting, retaining and expanding foreign direct investment.
- Provides matching funds of up to 50% of eligible project costs per year, for a total contribution not to exceed $300,000 per project per year.
- Designed to promote and enhance Canada's international innovation efforts by supporting Canadian researchers (from private companies, universities and non-government research centres) in pursuing international collaborative R&D opportunities through the development of partnerships with other countries/economies.
- Provides assistance by contributing up to 75% of eligible expenses.
Additional Funding Programs
- Designed to foster and support bilateral research projects which have the potential for commercialization between Canada and identified partner countries.
- Supports up to 50% of the Canadian costs of approved joint research projects proposed by companies and universities/colleges and other private sector research and development institutes.
Other Funding Opportunities
- Export Development Canada (EDC) offers several financing products for Canadian companies to support their international transactions: to pay for the up-front costs associated with the production of a large export order, to expand into new markets or to respond to a buyer's request for financing.
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)’s Market Xpansion Loan helps Canadian companies finance the expansion of their domestic market or explore new and larger foreign markets.
- Up to $100,000 in long-term financing can be granted with specific repayment terms tailored for maximum flexibility.