Canadian Technology Accelerator – Japan
Impact of COVID-19 outbreak on Canadian Technology Accelerator participants
We are here to help you expand your operations in international markets and will continue to do so during these challenging times. Due to travel restrictions, we are currently offering our CTA programs virtually. The decision to resume in-market programming will be based on:
- Canada’s domestic and international travel advisories
- Advice from public health agencies
The Canadian Technology Accelerator Program in Japan is a five-to-eight month program. It supports high-potential Canadian tech companies fast-track their market entry and scale their business in Japan.
The program fosters strategic partnerships and business development. It connects top-tier Japanese corporations, clients, partners and investors to Canadian companies in the following sectors:
- artificial intelligence (AI)
- internet of things (IoT)
- auto and mobility tech
- digital health companies
The program is for later-stage tech companies that are committed, have the resources and the capacity to develop the Japanese market.
There is no fee to apply for the program. To participate, company executives (CEO, founders, VP business development) must apply through a competitive process.
Japan has the third-largest national economy and is one of Canada's most important partners. It is a major global investor and Canada's largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) from Asia.
Japan has more and more multinational enterprises (MNEs), in a wide array of industries. As they embrace open innovation, their appetite for outside technologies, ideas and partnerships with foreign companies increases.
- $6+ trillion economy
- Home to over 50 corporations in the Fortune 500
- Corporate earnings over $800 billion in 2018
- Large and affluent consumer base
- One of the world’s most profitable markets for technology developers
- Vital hub for accessing Asian and global value chains
- Deep source of capital
- World-renowned manufacturing base
- Market leader in 5G implementation
- Growing VC ecosystem, led by corporate venture capital
Partnerships with Japanese MNEs could lead to opportunities to work together in third markets.
What we offer
A customized program, tailored to address individual company needs within the scope of business development or investment raising activities. These may include:
- Virtual mentorship program with Japan market experts and industry advisors
- Targeted business matching to potential customers, partners and investors
- Co-working space during your in-market visit(s)
- Exclusive access to in-market events, networking, showcase or speaking opportunities
- Access to market intelligence and reports on opportunities and trends in Japan
- Training on pitch customization and insights on navigating Japanese business culture and practices
- Dedicated Trade Commissioner
What you need to qualify
- Innovative, unique, export ready product or technology
- Existing market traction or a minimum of $1 million in paid-up capital
- Strong management team. At least one senior manager should commit to participating in the full program (virtual and flexible in-market)
- Thorough Japan market entry strategy
- The financial resources to cover costs of spending time in market (travel, accommodation, meals)
The Japan CTA program is run on a rolling basis. Once you’re accepted into the Japan CTA program, you must participate in all the programming elements for the 5-8 month duration. On-boarding and in-market dates are flexible within the 5 to 8 month period.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Apply to participate
- Date Modified: