Japan smart cities - Canadian Technology Accelerator
Japan is recognized as a world leader in transparent and environmentally friendly urban infrastructure development. Multinational Japanese industry leaders such as Toyota Motors, Panasonic, Hitachi, NTT Data, as well as trading houses also play an important role in this space.
Japan’s recent smart city spree is positioned to lead the nation’s Society 5.0 agenda as a means to enhance international competitiveness and economic revival. The country is also interested in investing in new technologies as evidenced by the $191bn mergers and acquisition (M&A) spending started in 2019. A wide variety of still to be defined city pilot projects led by government and/or private entities are in the works and Japan is looking to innovate and is interested in technology solutions offered by Canadian companies.
Are you interested in exploring these opportunities? The Canadian Technology Accelerator (CTA) business development program will help Canadian companies new to Japan with market validation and entry preparation.
|Application deadline||Program dates||Time commitment|
|December 15, 2021, at 11:59 pm PT|
January to March 2022
|4 to 5 hours per week|
Who should apply
We are seeking fast-growing, Canadian smart technology companies leading in one of the following areas:
- urban design and smart technology: Smart home, smart living, smart energy, etc.
- digital twins for smart cities: Detection, predictive analytics, data localization, tracking, etc.
- connectivity and communication technology: Grid networks, AR/VR interfaces, monitoring, access control systems, etc.
Companies must have:
- existing market traction or a minimum of $1 million in paid-up capital;
- an innovative, unique and export ready product or technology;
- a passionate, strong and committed management team with at least one senior executive (C-level or founder) who can commit to participating in the entire program; and
- a well thought out Japan market-entry strategy.
The Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) supports diversity, equity and inclusion in trade. We strongly encourage companies led by Canadians of all backgrounds and orientations to apply.
What we offer your business
Upon acceptance, your business will benefit from:
- in-depth market briefings on doing business in Japan to better understand the culture, local market as well as import considerations
- access to key stakeholders from top-tier companies, investors and experts
- mentorship and advice on engaging with and pitching to key contacts in Japan
- workshop events with like-minded entrepreneurial organizations
- introductions to potential buyers, investors and strategic partners
- validation of your technology and its potential for success in Japan
- tailored strategic advice
This three-to-four-month program will offer tailored virtual support beginning on January 12, 2022. This CTA will bring together a maximum of eight Canadian companies willing and able to participate in one-on-one as well as group sessions.
It will include:
- virtual market insights webinars and workshops on Japanese business culture and how to navigate corporate structures held twice every week for the first month
- four mentorship sessions offering tailored one-on-one to help refine/validate your market entry strategy and support referrals to local contacts
- targeted business-to-business (B2B) meetings and networking opportunities with potential local partners, investors and clients
- one signature event in March or April
What you will gain:
- a deeper understanding of the commercial opportunities for your technology in the Japanese market
- guidance on entering and navigating the Japanese market
- potential for pilot projects, partnerships, investment and/or long-term sales in Japan
- an opportunity to present to and get noticed by strategic partners, potential buyers, and/or investors
- enhanced network development with relationships built to last outside of the program
“Our governmental partners in Canada and Japan are instrumental to our global expansion efforts. CTA was one of the most collaborative, well organized, and highly engaging programs we’ve encountered. They arranged numerous business meetings and gave us valuable feedback throughout. We were happy to come out of the program with a pilot for our latest quality inspection product for manufacturers. We look forward to their continued support.” DarwinAI, Japan Digital Technologies 2021-22
Learn more about this program by contacting:
Canadian Technology Accelerator - Japan
Canada's Trade Commissionner Service
- Date Modified: