Mexico agtech - Canadian Technology Accelerators
Are you ready to access or grow your company in Mexico? Mexico is the 11th most important agriculture and agri-food producer in the world.
As a world leader in conventional agriculture production, the region requires a wide range of agricultural machinery, equipment and other innovative technologies that enable producers to raise quality, increase productivity and ensure food safety. This represents interesting and potentially lucrative opportunities for Canadian companies.
The Canadian Technology Accelerators (CTA) global business development program will give you the knowledge and connections you need to enter the country.
|Application deadline||Program dates||Time commitment|
|October 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM PT||November 15, 2022 – March 31, 2023||About 2 to 3 hours per week|
What are the benefits of joining?
Graduates of this CTA program will walk away with a deeper understanding of the opportunities for their technology in Mexico.
Upon acceptance, you will access:
- in-depth market briefing (webinars) on doing business in Mexico to better understand the local market as well as regulatory and import considerations
- targeted business-to-business (B2B) meetings with relevant actors in the ecosystem such as business associations, producers, distributors, importers, farmers, unions, greenhouses, packing and transport companies, and universities, as well as government representatives
- mentorship and tailored advice by industry leaders’ experts in the ag sector
- workshop events with like-minded entrepreneurial organizations
- introductions to potential buyers, and strategic local partners
- In market and virtual activities to be determined
Who should apply
We are seeking high-potential, scale-up stage companies in:
- precision agriculture: data, traceability, GPS, machine control systems, sensors, robotics, autonomous vehicles, automated hardware, telematics and software
- protected agriculture: greenhouses, hydroponics, control and automation systems, management software, remote sensors, artificial intelligence and fertigation controls
- robotics and artificial intelligence, sensors, data management platforms and traceability
Your company must have:
- a differentiated and validated technology or product
- proven product market fit with a defined target audience
- the ability to articulate a problem your company is solving
- existing market traction with at least one minimum viable product and evidence of maturity, including revenue, investment or other
- a passionate, strong and committed management team with at least one senior manager who can commit to participate in the entire program
- sufficient resources to target and achieve growth in the Mexican market
The Trade Commissioner Service supports equity, diversity and inclusion in trade. We strongly encourage companies led by Canadians of all backgrounds to apply.
What you need to apply
How the program works
The Mexico agtech CTA is a hybrid, 20-week program. The optional in-market portion will take place in early March 2023 based on regional COVID-19 travel restrictions. The program is divided into four phases:
- Phase 1 is virtual from November 15 to December 16, 2022, and includes:
- informal/individual preliminary meetings with each company, to meet the CTA supporting team organizing team and to better understand technology and expectations
- on-boarding session with all cohort members and special guests
- three live webinars:
- How to do business in Mexico;
- Agtech ecosystem in Mexico and opportunities for Canadian companies;
- How to get local partners and/or distributors in Mexico
- mentoring sessions to solve questions on the webinars and to prepare companies for the B2B sessions
* From Mid-December 2022 to Mid-January 2023 the work will be internal with the local partners to continue preparing and organizing the following four phases. The supporting team will also be available to engage with the companies if required.
- Phase 2 is virtual from January 16 to March 3, 2023, and includes:
- at least 10 B2B meetings per Canadian company with potential clients, strategic partners, distributors, and others
- mentoring sessions to discuss the best way to pitch to the Mexican counterparts according to their profiles
- an engagement session featuring a cohort roundtable to identify potential synergies among the participating companies with a special guest moderator
- Phase 3 is an optional in-market visit from March 6 to 10, 2023, and includes:
- meetings, pitching opportunities, field visits with potential clients and local partners, and other activities to be determined in Mexico City, Querétaro (Bajío Region), and Guadalajara
- mentoring sessions will continue during the week (virtual and in person)
- Phase 4 is virtual from March 13 to 31, 2023, and includes:
- follow-up sessions
- final activity to be announced
- final round of mentoring sessions (experience, perspectives, next steps, etc.)
- off-boarding session
“I would encourage any company interested in establishing a presence in the Mexican and Latin American (LatAm) market to be part of this program. It was well organized and very informative. It led us to create many new connections and possible new markets and I would highly recommend this program. […] Because of this experience, I am looking forward to joining more programs by the CTA. –TRANSPORT GENIE, Mexico CTA Agtech 2021
Learn more about this program by contacting:
Luis Ernesto Gonzalez
Canadian Technology Accelerator — Mexico
Canada's Trade Commissionner Service
- Date Modified: