Export resources for Indigenous businesses
Exporting can help you gain new customers, broaden your network and secure a strong future for your business. We can help you find information, connections and programs to take your products or services to the global market.
Get ready to export
Try this short quiz from the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) to see if your company is ready to do business overseas. You’ll get a score out of 15 and advice on your next steps.
The TCS also offers online resources to help you prepare to export:
“Having a mentor always helps. You should also have a circle of advisors and experts who are in the same industry you want to be in.”
Find market intelligence and reports
Take a look at these resources to identify international opportunities and develop your export plan:
- Country summaries – Export Development Canada (EDC) outlines the opportunities and risks in each market
- Global export forecast – This biannual publication from EDC provides a great overview of emerging global trends
- Market reports – Browse detailed reports by market or sector via the TCS website
Investigate new markets
Trade missions and events for Indigenous businesses – Explore global markets as part of a business delegation organized by the Indigenous Business team..
Export funding for Indigenous businesses – Find funding for business trips and trade delegations through government programs.
Connect with international contacts and buyers
The TCS has trade commissioners in more than 160 cities worldwide. They can connect you with partners, buyers, professional services and other contacts in global markets. They also provide local knowledge and on-the-ground support.
Find a trade commissioner
Discover free trade agreements and tariffs
Canada’s trade and investment agreements can give your business a competitive edge in the global market. You can search trade agreements by country, type, status or keyword via the TCS website.
You may already have a competitive edge over others in your target market. Use the Canada Tariff Finder to compare tariffs between export markets.
Strengthen your support network
The Indigenous Business team can put you in touch with organizations that support the success of Indigenous entrepreneurs, including:
- Trade Commissioner Service (TCS)
- Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC)
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (CCAB)
- National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Association (NACCA)
- Aboriginal Women’s Business Entrepreneurship Network (AWBEN)
Connect with the Indigenous Business team
- Email the Indigenous Business team: TCS.IndigenousBusiness@international.gc.ca
Get expert advice
- Canada implements measures to address Canada – United-States border-crossing issues for First Nations
- Canada's inclusive approach to trade
- Business opportunities for Indigenous entrepreneurs
- Recognition for Indigenous businesses
- Export funding for Indigenous businesses
- Date Modified: