Malta - Market Overview
Table of contents
Trade and Investment between Malta and Canada (C$ million)
Source: Statistics Canada
Note: Data on Maltese Direct Investment in Canada, Canada-Malta bilateral service trade is not available.
|Canadian Merchandise Exports to Malta (2018)||Canadian Merchandise Imports from Malta (2018)||Canadian Services Exports to Malta (2013)||Canadian Services Imports from Malta (2013)||Canadian Direct Investment in Malta (2018)||Maltese Direct Investment in Canada|
Why Malta Matters
- The island of the Republic of Malta is located in the central Mediterranean Sea between Europe and Africa. Malta is a member State of the European Union and ratified CETA in 2017.
- Tourism constitutes 27.1% of the GDP in Malta, representing the main economic source for the countryFootnote 1.
- Canada-Malta bilateral merchandise trade totalled C$ 147 million in 2018: Canadian exports to Malta totalled C$ 111.8 million, while imports from Malta to Canada amounted to C$ 35.9 millionFootnote 2.
- Top exports from Canada to Malta include aircrafts (C$ 99.9 million, 89% of Canadian exports), machinery (turbojets, turbopropellers and parts), special classification provisions, pharmaceutical products and electric machinery. While Canada’s top imports from Malta are pharmaceutical products, electrical machinery and optical and medical instrumentsFootnote 3.
- Malta has achieved one of the highest growth rates in science and technology in the EUFootnote 4.
- EDC sees potential and export investment opportunities in machinery and transport equipment, manufactured and semi-manufactured goods and agri-foodFootnote 5.
How to export to Malta
Read the guide Exporting to the EU.
Sectoral Opportunities in Malta
Maltese students recognize the educational and personal benefits of studying abroad and opportunities exist to attract these students to choose Canada for their studies.
The Maltese ICT sector will need support in the software development and process management sectors. The ICT sector is considered as a key investment area in Malta and opportunities exist in ICT infrastructure development and innovative solutions.
Opportunities in infrastructure development exist in Malta as the country renovates and improves its existing infrastructure (transportation networks, ports, etc.).
Malta is well known as a tourist destination with nine UNESCO World heritage sites. It became a member state of the European Union in the year 2004 and liberalized its economy and markets. Opportunities exist in the Tourism services and infrastructure sectors.
For information on trade and investment opportunities in Malta, contact your Trade Commissioner in Rome, Italy who also covers Malta.
- Date Modified: