Scaling Up Conference side event
Date: November 6, 2023
Venue: Fairmont Château Laurier
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Target Audience: Start-ups, large companies, research organisations and technology or service providers in the forestry bioeconomy, biomass, biochemical and bio-material sectors. Key players with ongoing or planned bioeconomy related projects willing to explore the Spanish and European markets.
Sector: Chemicals, Clean technologies, Forestry and wood products, Infrastructure, Oil and gas
The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service in Spain and the Canadian Council of Forest Ministers will be participating at Scaling Up 2023. A “Meet the Trade Commissioner” session will be organized on November 6th at 15:00 at the Chateau Laurier hotel. A business-to-business (B2B) activity will follow, right before the official opening of the Scaling Up Conference.
This session will be an opportunity for businesses and research organizations to come together to present their technologies and explore synergies with Spanish entities.
Objective: Creating new partnerships for the further development of innovative, cross-border and cross-sectoral industrial value chains in the bioeconomy.
There are numerous opportunities in the market, created by the following:
- The Spanish forestry bioeconomy activity will continue to grow, as traditional sectors will demand bio-materials and bio-products.
- The traditional wood sectors have not fully exploited the forest bioeconomy potential in Spain due to the lack of technology.
- The EU's economic recovery policies are opening opportunities and boosting investment and innovation projects.
- The changes in taxation and plastic use regulations make the bioeconomy even more relevant and attractive.
The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service in Spain has developed a long-term strategy to promote Canadian technologies and solutions within the Spanish bioeconomy sector.
In 2021, a fruitful Bilateral Bioeconomy Forum was organized and served as an eye-opener for key players in the sector in both countries.
In 2022, in collaboration with the European Initiative, BioeconomyVentures a pitching event was held in Barcelona. Spanish companies that were not linked to the forest sector are now investing in bio-materials and bio-products and showed willingness to adopt newly developed Canadian technologies.
The Spanish and Canadian markets are actively promoting the bioeconomy at national and regional levels. The whole forestry value chain, as well as bioenergy and other bio-material subsectors, are triggers for economic development and have a great potential for generating added value to the economy.
In Europe, the bio-based sector has now 700 billion EUR turnover and 3.6 million people employed. The Bioeconomy is considered a strategic sector for Spain, focusing attention on the business-led initiatives and on public-private partnerships with innovation from both public and private players.
The event will gather Spanish potential investors, SMEs and large companies, research organisations and technology providers.
The workshop will open with two keynote lectures on the bioeconomy and sustainable forest management giving an overview of the sector in Spain, followed by a pre-arranged b2b session.
Participants will be invited to send a corporate profile in order to organize the B2B meetings based on mutual interest, synergies and objectives. The one-on-one meetings of 15 minutes will allow participants to explore opportunities with new partners or investors.
Agenda and activities
|15:00||Registration and welcome||Trade Commissioner Service in Spain|
|15:05||Opening and welcoming remarks||Embassy of Spain to Canada|
|15:10||Meet the Trade Commissioner Opportunities in the Spanish market||Trade Commissioner Service in Spain|
|15:20||Keynote lecture on the bioeconomy and Sustainable forest management||Natural Resources Canada /Canadian Council of Forest Ministers|
|16:00-17:30||B2B meetings||15 minutes per meeting|
Each company will have at least four pre-scheduled meetings. Additional space will be provided for spontaneous meetings.
All Canadian participating entities will be allowed to be part of a communication brochure that will be widely disseminated in Spain after the Conference.
Main contact : Eugenia Pérez : firstname.lastname@example.org
Register to attend
- Register now to participate in the free “Meet the Trade Commissioner” session at Scaling Up 2023.
Why your organization should participate:
- Compare your product/service with international competitors
- Develop a first-hand understanding of the opportunities and challenges of doing business in foreign markets
- Gain insights and market intelligence
- Increase visibility of your product or service
- Meet academic or research entities
- Meet key commercial entities, industry players, and potential buyers, investors and/or partners
- Meet key regulatory bodies
- Participate in networking events
- Participate in pre-organized business to business meetings
- Pitch your product /service to selected audiences
- Receive mentoring and coaching
- Receive on-the-ground assistance from the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
Trade Commissioner(s) involvement:
Activities organized by the Trade Commissioner Service
- Business-to-business meetings
- Networking event
The Trade Commissioner, Eugenia Pérez (email@example.com), specializes in the forestry bioeconomy sector for the Spanish market and can provide information on this and other local events that you are considering, as well as advice on business development in the region. The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service offers services free of charge to Canadian exporters and companies that meet our client criteria.
- Date Modified: