State trade fact sheets - Delaware
- 84 Canadian-owned businesses employ 26,902 workers in Delaware
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states,
- 76% of Canadian exports to the U.S. are raw materials, parts, and components used to create other goods in the United States
- Canada sells more to Delaware than it sells to the Phillipines
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, DuPont’s Kingston, Ontario Technology Centre produced and donated hand sanitizer. Photo: DuPont
Canada is Key to Dupont’s Continued Growth
Headquartered in Wilmington, DuPont delivers cutting-edge solutions and future technologies to industrial, transportation, electronics, and medical industries, producing well-known brands like Kevlar®, Styrofoam™, and Corian®. Canada is a major component of their global business, driving nearly $1 billion of the company’s annual revenues and supporting 3,500 employees in Delaware.
Canada plays a key role among DuPont’s strategic investments, with substantial manufacturing facilities focused on their textile, interior, performance coatings, packaging and industrial polymers, and one of only ten global R&D hubs. These sites are essential to DuPont’s continued growth, allowing them to more readily serve end users with products that make life easier.
Ultrachem Counts Canada as its #1 Export Destination
Founded in 1965 in New Castle, Ultrachem, Inc. produces high quality specialty synthetic lubricants for the original equipment manufacturer and industrial maintenance markets. Used primarily in air compressors and vacuum pumps, its unique premium high grade oils have many applications, from transportation to gears, hydraulics and industrial food production. Ultrachem is an experienced exporter, with shipments to at least 32 different countries. For three decades, Ultrachem has sold lubricants to customers in many sectors across Canada, making Canada its longest tenured and most significant export destination.
Miles Scientific Exports to Canada
Since 1961, Newark-based Miles Scientific Corporation has been manufacturing high quality chromatography products and is North America’s only manufacturer of thin layer chromatography plates and accessories, which are essential tools for analytical chemistry. Its products are used in diverse areas of application including clinical, forensic, pharmaceutical, and food sciences. The company is heavily engaged in international trade and exports over one-third of its products. Canada is its largest export market and Canadian customers include pharmaceutical and life-science companies along with universities and research institutions.
Delaware exports $592 million in goods to Canada annually
Delaware exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 35%
- Chemicals: 25%
- Equipment & machinery: 12%
- Minerals & metals: 10%
- Plastics & rubbers: 7%
- Transportation: 3%
- Other: 8%
Delaware imports $1.3 billion in goods from Canada annually
Delaware imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 10%
- Energy: 54%
- Equipment & machinery: 3%
- Forest products: 5%
- Minerals & metals: 13%
- Plastics & rubbers: 5%
- Transportation: 4%
- Other: 6%
Top Delaware goods exports to Canada
- Fruits & nuts: $163 million
- Pharmaceutical products: $93 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $42 million
- Copper & copper articles: $22 million
- Heating, cooling & refrigeration equipment: $18 million
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $18 million
- Paints, pigments, varnishes, dyestuffs & inks: $17 million
- Inorganic chemicals: $15 million
- Aircraft & parts: $14 million
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $11 million
Top Delaware goods imports from Canada
- Crude petroleum: $696 million
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $138 million
- Animal meats: $77 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $67 million
- Aircraft & parts: $40 million
- Softwood lumber: $23 million
- Paper & paperboard: $18 million
- Natural gas & other gases: $17 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $14 million
- Animal feed & food industry residues: $13 million
Delaware exports $307 million in services to Canada annually
Top Delaware services exports to Canada
- Financial services: $183 million
- Business services: $44 million
- Insurance services: $43 million
- Charges for the use of intellectual property: $14 million
- Travel (including for eduction): $10 million
Connect to our team
For more information on Delaware’s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in New York.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2021 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canada’s export ranking (2/2022 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 11/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2022 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: