Canada-Chicago Mentoring Program (C2MP)
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
In efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, upcoming events may be cancelled, modified, or postponed. Consult the official event organizer or event website for up-to-date information.
Date: February 10, 2021
Venue: Matter Health (or Virtual TBD)
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Sector: Life sciences
*Applications open from October 15 to November 13, 2020
The Trade Commissioner Service has entered into a partnership with Point B at MATTER (www.matter.health), the life sciences/healthcare nexus in downtown Chicago to provide strategic guidance to Canadian start-ups. Point B is a translational and acceleration program that collaborates with universities, research institutions, and corporations to held advance life sciences, healthcare, and digital health ventures through team-based mentorship.
The Canada-Chicago Mentoring Program (C2MP) catalyzes the local Chicago life sciences/healthcare ecosystem to accelerate technology commercialization opportunities by matching experienced and supportive mentoring teams with early stage innovators.
- Receive coaching and mentoring for a period of 6 months from a team of life sciences/healthcare and other business professionals
- Improve your understanding of market access issues in the US
- Define or refine your strategy
- Build your network of key contacts in the Chicago market to develop new business relationships and identify market opportunities
- Immerse yourself in a culture of collaboration, open innovation and entrepreneurial inspiration
- Receive dedicated services from the Trade Commissioner Service in Chicago and in Philadelphia
Program for the selected companies
Part 1: Orientation for the program (January 2021)
- Participate in a webinar with the Consulate and Point B at MATTER to go over the details of the mentoring program
Part 2: Day of Acceleration in Chicago (February 10, 2021)
- Participate in a full day program organized by the Trade Commissioner Service at MATTER
- Pitch and showcase your technology to an audience of 120+ mentors and stakeholders (in person or virtual TBD)
- Meet your potential mentors and network with key Chicago contacts in the life sciences and healthcare industry
- Gain insights on the characteristics of the Chicago market that can improve your chances to success
Part 3: Six Month Mentoring Program (February 10 – August 2021) – Total number of monthly meetings: 6 (in addition to the Day of Acceleration).
- Be matched with a team of 3 to 5 mentors (you will be assigned a lead mentor to work closely with you and the rest of the team)
- Engage your team of mentors for guidance and advice. Be proactive to gain valuable feedback on your growth challenges, market access strategy, business model, investor pitch
- Get access for free to MATTER, Chicago’s top tier healthcare incubator, its workspace, its network and all of its educational programing (www.matter.health)
- The program will end with a presentation to potential business contacts and/or investors in the autumn 2021 in Chicago and an introduction to the Life Sciences ecosystem in Philadelphia to expand opportunities in the US.
- The mentoring can be done virtually (emails, conference calls, videoconferences) or in person.
- Able to commit at least one senior team member (C-level or Founder) to take part in the program and attend the mentoring sessions (in addition to the Day of Acceleration).
C2MP companies are selected using a competitive application process. Ideal candidates have:
- Created a technology/product with high potential for growth
- Initial traction in the market place (in Canada or the US or another geography)
- A management team
- A need for local professionals to evaluate their business models/strategy
- Resources to visit the market to meet with their mentoring teams.
How to apply?
If you are interested in participating in the program, please contact Laura Dalby or Julien Rosan at email@example.com to receive the application form. Space is limited to FOUR Canadian companies; all applicants will be qualified by a vetting committee.
Deadline: Completed forms must be received at the Consulate by November 13, 2020, to be considered.
Why your organization should participate:
- Develop a first-hand understanding of the opportunities and challenges of doing business in foreign markets
- Gain insights and market intelligence
- Increase visibility of your product or service
- Meet academic or research entities
- Meet key commercial entities, industry players, and potential buyers, investors and/or partners
- Meet key regulatory bodies
- Participate in networking events
- Participate in pre-organized business to business meetings
- Pitch your product /service to selected audiences
- Receive mentoring and coaching
- Receive on-the-ground assistance from the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
Trade Commissioner(s) involvement:
Activities organized by the Trade Commissioner Service
- Business-to-business meetings
- Networking event
- Product pitch to select audiences
The Trade Commissioner, Julien Rosan (firstname.lastname@example.org), specializes in the Information and Communications Technology sector for the Chicago market and can provide information on this and other local events that you are considering, as well as advice on business development in the region. Services from the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service are offered free of charge to Canadian companies and organizations.
- Date Modified: