State trade fact sheets - Florida
- 443 Canadian-owned businesses employ 44,307 workers in Florida
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states
- Over 76% of U.S. imports from Canada are goods that are used in the production of other goods
- Canada is Florida’s #1 international purchaser of residential properties, with over $60 billion owned by Canadians
Let’s Keep a Good Thing Growing!
Florida and Canada have a strong partnership in both traditional and advanced agriculture. Canada remains Florida’s leading agriculture destination. In 2020, $405 million of Florida’s fresh fruit and vegetables were exported to Canada. “Fresh From Florida” has teamed up with over 1,800 Canadian retail grocery stores to promote Florida produce from late spring through early fall season, providing Canadian consumers with fresh produce.
Canada’s Contribution to Florida’s Economic Recovery
Canadian buyers are by far the largest non-U.S. investors in Florida’s residential real estate market. According to a survey by Florida’s Realtor Association, Canada was again, in 2019, the top international buyer, with an estimated transaction volume of $3.3 billion, bringing the total residential real estate portfolio held by Canadians to over $60 billion. Despite the economic losses to the state stemming from the 2020 COVID pandemic, Canada’s enduring investments in residential real estate will continue to translate into billions of dollars paid in local taxes and ancillary services for many of Florida’s local communities and businesses — making Canada an integral part of Florida’s economic recovery.
Canada and the U.S.: There for Each Other
In 2020, Canada and the U.S. again worked together as the COVID-19 pandemic took hold across the world. Canada and the U.S. preserved supply chains across the border, deeming trucking essential. Canada and the U.S. traded important inputs for the production of personal protective equipment and medical equipment, maintaining a thriving bilateral trade in finished goods. Soon after the outbreak, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research began awarding grants to joint research projects proposed by Canadian and U.S. institutions to try and find an end to the virus.
No matter our shared challenges and as we have done in times of crisis, Canada and the U.S. will continue to support one another as friends, partners and allies.
Florida exports $3.4 billion in goods to Canada annually
Florida exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 24%
- Chemicals: 20%
- Equipment & machinery: 27%
- Forest products: 3%
- Minerals & metals: 6%
- Plastics & rubbers: 3%
- Transportation: 11%
- Other: 6%
Florida imports $4.3 billion in goods from Canada annually
Florida imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 19%
- Chemicals: 6%
- Energy: 4%
- Equipment & machinery: 23%
- Forest products: 7%
- Minerals & metals: 8%
- Plastics & rubbers: 5%
- Transportation: 9%
- Other: 19%
Top Florida goods exports to Canada
- Fertilizers: $403 million
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $227 million
- Vegetables: $220 million
- Aircraft & parts: $210 million
- Fruits & nuts: $185 million
- Pharmaceutical products: $112 million
- Fish & crustaceans: $110 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $97 million
- Perfumes, essential oils & toiletries: $88 million
- Ships & boats: $80 million
Top Florida goods imports from Canada
- Engines & turbines: $282 million
- Furniture & bedding: $245 million
- Aircraft & parts: $237 million
- Iron & steel tubes, pipes & sheets: $186 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $174 million
- Pasta, breads & cereal preparations: $166 million
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $157 million
- Fuel oil: $149 million
- Softwood lumber: $139 million
- Prepared vegetables: $127 million
Florida exports $3.4 billion in services to Canada annually
Top Florida services exports to Canada
- Travel Services: $1.4 billion
- Business & Professional Services: $753 million
- Transportation Services: $398 million
- Tech Services: $224 million
- Royalties: $209 million
For more information on Floridaâ€™s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in Miami.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2020 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canadaâ€™s export ranking (2/2021 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 2/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2021 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: