State trade fact sheets - Idaho
- 56 Canadian-owned businesses employ 2,955 workers in Idaho
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states,
- Over 76% of U.S. imports from Canada are goods that are used in the production of other goods
- Idaho sells more goods to Canada than to its next four largest foreign markets combined
Canada and Idaho Connect through Agri-food Business
Canadian company McCain Foods recently completed a $200 million expansion project of its Burley, Idaho distribution center. The expansion increased annual French fry capacity by more than 400 million pounds and created more than 180 new jobs. The facility now produces and distributes more than 4.7 million pounds of potatoes across North America daily and employs more than 730 people. This investment occurred in the same year that Idaho company J.R. Simplot completed a $460 million expansion that doubled the size of their potato plant in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. The expansions by McCain Foods and Simplot represent a growing trend of Canadian and Idaho agri-food/potato supply chains becoming increasingly connected.
Mined in the U.S.: Midas Gold Idaho
Midas Gold Idaho, based in Donnelly, Idaho, has located a world-class deposit of gold and antimony in an area in need of serious environmental repair. Reopening mining in the historic Stibnite Mining District will bring significant economic growth to Idaho and finance the environmental restoration of the site. The project’s parent company, Midas Gold Corp, is based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Since 2009, Midas Gold has spent over $180 million in the U.S. and currently has 30+ employees in Idaho. The company will invest more than $1 billion in Idaho and directly employ 500 individuals over the project’s 20-year lifespan. Once permitted, the project will be the only domestic mined supply of antimony in the United States. Antimony plays a critical role in the military and energy sectors. Midas Gold Idaho looks forward to continuing to be a partner in growing the state’s economy.
Investing in Idaho
There are 56 Canadian-owned companies operating in the state of Idaho. These companies account for nearly 3,000 jobs throughout the state and contribute $133 million in salaries. These Canadian companies and their employees are major contributors to Idaho’s economy. The Canada–Idaho trade and investment relationship supports jobs and contributes to economic prosperity.
Idaho exports $1.2 billion in goods to Canada annually
Idaho exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 19%
- Chemicals: 17%
- Equipment & machinery: 9%
- Forest products: 7%
- Minerals & metals: 39%
- Plastics & rubbers: 3%
- Transportation: 4%
- Other: 2%
Idaho imports $1.2 billion in goods from Canada annually
Idaho imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 18%
- Chemicals: 9%
- Energy: 13%
- Equipment & machinery: 7%
- Forest products: 22%
- Minerals & metals: 18%
- Plastics & rubbers: 4%
- Other: 9%
Top Idaho goods exports to Canada
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $359 million
- Fertilizers: $95 million
- Ores, slag & ash: $94 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $60 million
- Live animals: $48 million
- Inorganic chemicals: $42 million
- Prepared vegetables: $42 million
- Agricultural machinery: $37 million
- Vegetables: $35 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $29 million
Top Idaho goods imports from Canada
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $167 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $145 million
- Fuel oil: $126 million
- Softwood lumber: $71 million
- Animal feed & food industry residues: $55 million
- Fertilizers: $50 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $41 million
- Inorganic chemicals: $35 million
- Animal or vegetable fats, oils & waxes: $31 million
- Wood pulp: $26 million
Idaho exports $156 million in services to Canada annually
Top Idaho services exports to Canada
- Travel Services: $52 million
- Transportation Services: $35 million
- Business & Professional Services: $22 million
- Royalties: $20 million
- Financial Services: $14 million
For more information on Idahoâ€™s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in Seattle.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2020 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canadaâ€™s export ranking (2/2021 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 2/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2021 release).
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: median annual Idaho wage ($44,890, 3/2020 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: