State trade fact sheets - Maryland
- 149 Canadian-owned businesses employ 10,692 workers in Maryland
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states,
- Over 76% of U.S. imports from Canada are goods that are used in the production of other goods
- Canada sells more to Maryland than it sells to Belgium
Changing the Course of Autoimmune Disease
Aurinia Pharmaceuticals Inc., based in Victoria, British Columbia, is a late-stage clinical biopharmaceutical company committed to advancing novel therapies to address the unmet needs of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. In March 2020, Aurinia established its U.S. commercial center of operations in Rockville, Maryland. The company is launching FDA-approved LUPKYNIS for the treatment of lupus nephritis. The company plans to hire up to 100 employees in the first year and up to 500 employees as the company expands its operations. It is located within the I-270 life sciences and biotech corridor, which is widely recognized as a hotbed of leading innovation and industry talent.
Global EIM Leader in Gaithersburg
OpenText is a world leader in Enterprise Information Management (EIM), helping companies manage information for improved productivity and competitiveness. It is also Canada’s largest software company, and one of the most successful software and services companies in the world. OpenText employs more than 12,000 employees globally, including 417 Marylanders in Gaithersburg, MD. OpenText is also a founding member of the Maryland Digital Transformation Center. Gaithersburg is the hub for the OpenText U.S. Public Sector Group as well as their cloud services hub, which manages over 18 billion transactions per year, approximately 600,000 trading partners, and 100,000 customers worldwide.
Bringing Communities to Life
Stantec is a top ten global design firm with more than 22,000 employees working in over 350 locations across 6 continents. Stantec’s local strength, knowledge, and relationships, coupled with world-class expertise, allow them to go anywhere and meet clients’ needs in more creative, personalized ways. Headquartered in Alberta, Canada, Stantec has nearly 9,000 professional services staff across the United States. The long-established 200-person Maryland team brings deep experience and a broad range of services in infrastructure, buildings, water, environmental services and energy. From offices in Baltimore, Germantown, and Laurel, the Stantec community collaborates across disciplines and industries to make buildings, infrastructure, and energy and resource projects come to life.
Maryland exports $1.6 billion in goods to Canada annually
Maryland exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 8%
- Apparel & textiles: 4%
- Chemicals: 20%
- Equipment & machinery: 28%
- Forest products: 8%
- Minerals & metals: 13%
- Plastics & rubbers: 4%
- Transportation: 9%
- Other: 6%
Maryland imports $2.4 billion in goods from Canada annually
Maryland imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 15%
- Chemicals: 6%
- Energy: 4%
- Equipment & machinery: 16%
- Forest products: 13%
- Minerals & metals: 29%
- Plastics & rubbers: 6%
- Transportation: 4%
- Other: 7%
Top Maryland goods exports to Canada
- Tractors: $98 million
- Books & printed material: $83 million
- Furniture & bedding: $81 million
- Paints, pigments, varnishes, dyestuffs & inks: $75 million
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $68 million
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $60 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $57 million
- Perfumes, essential oils & toiletries: $57 million
- Aluminum & aluminum articles: $38 million
- Iron & steel tubes, pipes & sheets: $32 million
Top Maryland goods imports from Canada
- Aluminum & aluminum articles: $284 million
- Nickel & nickel articles: $259 million
- Softwood lumber: $151 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $91 million
- Furniture & bedding: $89 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $78 million
- Petroleum coke & bitumen: $61 million
- Pasta, breads & cereal preparations: $59 million
- Telephones & AV recording equipment: $58 million
- Animal meats: $53 million
Maryland exports $1.0 billion in services to Canada annually
Top Maryland services exports to Canada
- Travel Services: $347 million
- Business & Professional Services: $256 million
- Tech Services: $151 million
- Royalties: $104 million
- Financial Services: $85 million
For more information on Marylandâ€™s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in Washington.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2020 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canadaâ€™s export ranking (2/2021 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 2/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2021 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: