State trade fact sheets - New Jersey
- 210 Canadian-owned businesses employ 24,394 workers in New Jersey
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states,
including New Jersey
- Over 76% of U.S. imports from Canada are goods that are used in the production of other goods
- New Jersey sells more goods to Canada than to its next two largest foreign markets combined â€” the UK & China
Driven to Transform
PamTen Software Solutions, headquartered in Princeton, is an award-winning IT solutions and staffing company that is committed to transforming the face of technology by bringing more women into the industry. With more than a decade of experience, PamTen recently expanded its operations to Montreal, a key AI hub that will allow it to continue to grow.
As Chaya Pamula, Co-Founder, President & CEO, puts it: “PamTen’s expansion into Montreal is going to add more strength to our service offerings in AI/ML, Data Analytics and Cybersecurity, enabling us to develop a strong resource base that will serve our current and future clients in Canada and USA, particularly our headquarters in New Jersey.”
Cascades Brings Jobs to New Jersey
A leader in the recovery and manufacturing of green packaging and tissue products, Quebec-based Cascades, Inc. created 170 new jobs when it opened a state-of-the-art containerboard packaging solutions facility in Piscataway in 2019. The facility’s strategic location will allow Cascades to further consolidate its containerboard and packaging activities in the Northeastern U.S.
From its founding in 1964, when it launched a new business making paper from recycled fibers, Cascades has been guided by its conviction that sustainable management of resources has financial, social and environmental benefits, a philosophy that is clearly on display at this New Jersey facility.
Canada and the U.S.: There for Each Other
In 2020, Canada and the U.S. again worked together as the COVID-19 pandemic took hold across the world. Canada and the U.S. preserved supply chains across the border, deeming trucking essential. Canada and the U.S. traded important inputs for the production of personal protective equipment and medical equipment, maintaining a thriving bilateral trade in finished goods. Soon after the outbreak, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research began awarding grants to joint research projects proposed by Canadian and U.S. institutions to try and find an end to the virus.
No matter our shared challenges and as we have done in times of crisis, Canada and the U.S. will continue to support one another as friends, partners and allies.
New Jersey exports $7.2 billion in goods to Canada annually
New Jersey exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 15%
- Apparel & textiles: 3%
- Chemicals: 22%
- Energy: 3%
- Equipment & machinery: 15%
- Minerals & metals: 25%
- Plastics & rubbers: 10%
- Other: 7%
New Jersey imports $6.9 billion in goods from Canada annually
New Jersey imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 19%
- Chemicals: 14%
- Energy: 23%
- Equipment & machinery: 6%
- Forest products: 7%
- Minerals & metals: 15%
- Plastics & rubbers: 6%
- Transportation: 3%
- Other: 7%
Top New Jersey goods exports to Canada
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $1.3 billion
- Plastics & plastic articles: $627 million
- Perfumes, essential oils & toiletries: $381 million
- Organic chemicals: $277 million
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $260 million
- Pharmaceutical products: $243 million
- Fruits & nuts: $233 million
- Prepared vegetables: $222 million
- Fuel oil: $199 million
- Soaps, candles & waxes: $159 million
Top New Jersey goods imports from Canada
- Crude petroleum: $1.0 billion
- Fuel oil: $487 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $417 million
- Pharmaceutical products: $389 million
- Copper & copper articles: $365 million
- Paper & paperboard: $284 million
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $276 million
- Pasta, breads & cereal preparations: $195 million
- Furniture & bedding: $178 million
- Prepared vegetables: $169 million
New Jersey exports $1.8 billion in services to Canada annually
Top New Jersey services exports to Canada
- Business & Professional Services: $615 million
- Travel Services: $274 million
- Tech Services: $243 million
- Transportation Services: $220 million
- Royalties: $210 million
For more information on New Jerseyâ€™s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in New York.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2020 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canadaâ€™s export ranking (2/2021 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 2/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2021 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: