State trade fact sheets - North California
- 755 Canadian-owned businesses employ 62,560 workers in California
- Canada is the #1 customer for most states
- Over 76% of U.S. imports from Canada are goods that are used in the production of other goods
- Canada sells more to California than it sells to China
Investing in Northern California
Canada is California’s friendly neighbor to the North, but did you know that Canada is also California’s friendly business partner? There are 600 Canadian-owned companies operating in Northern California alone! In total, these companies provide close to 63,000 jobs throughout the state and contribute $3.8 billion in salaries. Northern California’s economy just wouldn’t be the same without this important relationship.
CarbonCure is a Canadian company that is reducing the global carbon footprint by using recycled CO<2 in the manufacturing of concrete. Its initial foray into the United States began with a partnership by a concrete masonry supplier in San Francisco in 2012. Today, the CarbonCure Technology is installed in over 100 concrete plants across the United States. The technology has been used on over 2 million cubic yards of concrete to reduce the carbon footprint of thousands of building developments across the U.S., with notable projects in the San Francisco Bay area including the University of California Hastings campus. CarbonCure is a proud portfolio member of Breakthrough Energy Ventures, whose illustrious group of investors include many ties to the Bay region.
OpenText is Canada’s largest software company. The Information Company is powering digital transformations to enable the Intelligent and Connected Enterprise while inspiring a new way to work. A leader in Enterprise Information Management (EIM), OpenText offers a comprehensive portfolio of solutions that combines digital applications with an information platform to optimize customer experiences, employee engagement, asset utilization and supply chain efficiency for the growing demands of the digital world. OpenText is proud of its 170 California team members who are on the cutting edge of our success. With its Bay Area location in San Mateo, the team is inspired by the energy and passion that has always been part of Silicon Valley’s DNA.
California exports $15.9 billion in goods to Canada annually
California exports to Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 28%
- Chemicals: 6%
- Equipment & machinery: 39%
- Minerals & metals: 4%
- Plastics & rubbers: 3%
- Transportation: 11%
- Other: 9%
California imports $26.5 billion in goods from Canada annually
California imports from Canada by industry
- Agriculture: 11%
- Chemicals: 3%
- Energy: 3%
- Equipment & machinery: 6%
- Forest products: 3%
- Minerals & metals: 5%
- Plastics & rubbers: 3%
- Transportation: 60%
- Other: 6%
Top California goods exports to Canada
- Fruits & nuts: $1.6 billion
- Telephones & AV recording equipment: $1.4 billion
- Computers: $1.3 billion
- Vegetables: $1.0 billion
- Automobiles: $1.0 billion
- Optical, medical & precision instruments: $797 million
- Beverages & alcohol: $520 million
- Prepared vegetables: $360 million
- Televisions & parts: $321 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $306 million
Top California goods imports from Canada
- Automobiles: $15.5 billion
- Pearls, gems, precious metals & jewelry: $598 million
- Plastics & plastic articles: $597 million
- Animal meats: $590 million
- Animal feed & food industry residues: $462 million
- Wood & semi-finished wood products: $454 million
- Pasta, breads & cereal preparations: $421 million
- Furniture & bedding: $347 million
- Fish & crustaceans: $307 million
- Electricity: $301 million
California exports $11.6 billion in services to Canada annually
Top California services exports to Canada
- Travel Services: $2.8 billion
- Business & Professional Services: $2.6 billion
- Royalties: $2.0 billion
- Tech Services: $1.7 billion
- Personal, Cultural & Recreational Services: $1.0 billion
For more information on Californiaâ€™s trade with Canada, please contact our trade team in San Francisco.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, all figures are based on 2020 data in U.S. dollars.
- U.S. Census Bureau: goods trade, Canadaâ€™s export ranking (2/2021 release).
- The Trade Partnership: 2019 services exports (estimated, 2/2021 release).
- Dun + Bradstreet: Canadian-owned businesses (3/2021 release).
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: median annual California wage ($61,290, 3/2020 release).
- Figures may not add up due to rounding.
- Date Modified: