COVID-19 and Canada’s international trade
Canada is committed to supporting Canadian businesses and the free flow of goods and services across our international borders.
Financial support and services for businesses operating globally
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan includes financial measures and programs to support Canadian businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) helps take Canadian businesses to the world by connecting them with international opportunities, funding and support programs, and our on-the-ground network of Trade Commissioners in 160+ cities worldwide. The TCS is here to help your business navigate this time of uncertainty and provide country-specific advice and guidance to help you mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.
- CanExport applicants and recipients should consult the program-specific measures for information about how applications or approved activities may be impacted by COVID-19.
- The Canadian COVID-19 Capabilities Directory helps the TCS promote Canadian companies supporting the fight against COVID-19 to potential buyers around the world.
- Export Development Canada (EDC) offers businesses expert advice as well as insurance and financial support. They have expanded their offering in response to increased demand during these challenging times. Working in collaboration with federal partners and Canadian financial institutions, EDC is helping Canadian companies to swiftly access capital and protect their business.
- Register for a MyEDC account to gain access to market insights, expert advice and tools that can help Canadian businesses fuel smart business decisions while mitigating risk in a volatile economy.
- Access EDC’s Export Help Hub to get detailed, expert answers to your pressing questions, curated based on what thousands of other businesses are asking EDC about trade and the impacts of COVID-19.
- Watch EDC’s free webinars for an array of webinars filled with international insights from expert panelists.
- Search and filter a list of the main government and Crown corporation COVID-19 business resources to find the support best suited to your needs.
- The Business Development Bank of Canada(BDC) is the only bank devoted exclusively to entrepreneurs, offering financing, venture capital, growth and transition capital and advisory services. It also provides information to help your business take action during the COVID-19 crisis.
Responsible Business Conduct
It has never been more important for Canadian businesses to make decisions with Responsible Business Conduct abroad in mind. The challenges caused by COVID-19 and the global economic shock go beyond daily operations and financial survival. Companies should also manage economic, health, safety and human rights risks. This is for the wellbeing of workers and customers, and for the communities and environments in which companies operate.
Keeping supply and trade links open
Canada and its international partners are committed to supporting global trade and investment during this global health crisis. Canada is also working closely with its international partners to ensure that the measures we take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic do not impose unjustified or harmful burdens on workers, businesses, and our global economies.
Canada and Asia-Pacific cooperation
Canada and WTO cooperation
- Minister Ng discusses global trade and economic recovery in WTO ministerial meeting
- Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade Valdis Dombrovskis
- Minister Ng announces tabling of Ottawa Group’s Trade and Health Initiative at WTO General Council
- Statement from Minister Ng on final arbitrator candidates of WTO Multi-party Interim Arrangement
- Minister Ng concludes successful Canada-led Ottawa Group meeting on World Trade Organization reform and COVID-19
- Statement from Minister Ng on joint commitment with WTO members to support small businesses
- Statement on joint commitment with WTO members to maintain predictable and rules-based trade at this critical time
- Statement on joint WTO efforts to ensure open and predictable trade for food and agricultural products amid COVID-19
- Statement on Multi-party Interim Arrangement for appealing trade disputes through WTO
Canada and international cooperation
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Mexico’s Secretary of Economy
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Union member states about vaccine exports
- Readout: Minister Ng meets with United Kingdom Secretary of State for International Trade
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade about vaccine exports
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Dan Tehan, Australia’s Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade Valdis Dombrovskis
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Anna Hallberg, Sweden’s Minister for Foreign Trade and Nordic Affairs
- Readout: Minister Ng meets virtually with Advisor on Commerce and Investment to the Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade, Valdis Dombrovskis
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Denmark
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Finland’s Minister for Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with France’s Minister Delegate for Foreign Trade and Economic Attractiveness
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Singapore’s Minister for Trade and Industry
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with United Kingdom’s Secretary of State for International Trade
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Secretary-General of ASEAN
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with India’s Minister of Commerce and Industry and Minister of Railways
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with New Zealand’s Minister of Police, Fisheries, Revenue and Small Business
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Secretary of Trade and Industry of the Philippines
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Japan’s Minister of State for Economic and Fiscal Policy
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation of the Netherlands
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Greece’s Minister of Development and Investment
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Japan’s State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Mexico’s Secretary of Economy
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Australia’s Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with Vietnam’s Minister of Industry and Trade
- Readout: Minister Ng meets with European Union Commissioner for Trade Phil Hogan
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with South Korean trade minister Yoo Myung-hee
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with New Zealand’s Minister for Trade and Export Growth
Additional resources for businesses operating internationally
In today's interconnected global business climate, COVID-19 is affecting the way Canadian companies operate. Efforts to control and mitigate the spread of the virus include temporary restrictions on travel and at borders. These efforts could have further implications on international business development activities.
International business travel and advisories
Customs and borders
Agriculture and agri-food industry
- Date Modified: