COVID-19 and Canada’s international trade
Canada is committed to supporting Canadian businesses and the free flow of goods and services across our international borders.
Financial support and services for businesses operating globally
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan includes financial measures and programs to support Canadian businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- The Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) helps take Canadian businesses to the world by connecting them with international opportunities, funding and support programs, and our on-the-ground network of Trade Commissioners in 160+ cities worldwide. The TCS is here to help your business navigate this time of uncertainty and provide country-specific advice and guidance to help you mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.
- CanExport applicants and recipients should consult the program-specific measures for information about how applications or approved activities may be impacted by COVID-19.
- The Canadian COVID-19 Capabilities Directory helps the TCS promote Canadian companies supporting the fight against COVID-19 to potential buyers around the world.
- Export Development Canada (EDC) offers businesses expert advice as well as insurance and financial support. They have expanded their offering in response to increased demand during these challenging times. Working in collaboration with federal partners and Canadian financial institutions, EDC is helping Canadian companies to swiftly access capital and protect their business.
- Register for a MyEDC account to gain access to market insights, expert advice and tools that can help Canadian businesses fuel smart business decisions while mitigating risk in a volatile economy.
- Access EDC’s Export Help Hub to get detailed, expert answers to your pressing questions, curated based on what thousands of other businesses are asking EDC about trade and the impacts of COVID-19.
- Watch EDC’s free webinars for an array of webinars filled with international insights from expert panelists.
- Search and filter a list of the main government and Crown corporation COVID-19 business resources to find the support best suited to your needs.
- The Business Development Bank of Canada(BDC) is the bank for Canadian entrepreneurs, offering financing, venture capital, growth and transition capital and advisory services. It also provides information to help your business take action during the COVID-19 crisis.
Responsible Business Conduct
It has never been more important for Canadian businesses to make decisions with Responsible Business Conduct abroad in mind. The challenges caused by COVID-19 and the global economic shock go beyond daily operations and financial survival. Companies should also manage economic, health, safety and human rights risks. This is for the wellbeing of workers and customers, and for the communities and environments in which companies operate.
Keeping supply and trade links open
Canada and its international partners are committed to supporting global trade and investment during this global health crisis. Canada is also working closely with its international partners to ensure that the measures we take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic do not impose unjustified or harmful burdens on workers, businesses, and our global economies.
International business travel and advisories
In today's interconnected global business climate, COVID-19 is affecting the way Canadian companies operate. Efforts to control and mitigate the spread of the virus include temporary restrictions on travel and at borders. These efforts could have further implications on international business development activities.
Customs and borders
- COVID-19: Current border measures and requirements
Agriculture and agri-food industry
- Date Modified: