Canadian Agri-Tech Mission to China , March 19-23, 2018
Request for Expression of Interest
Global Affairs Canada through the Embassy of Canada in Beijing and the National Research Council’s Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP) will be pleased to receive your expression of interest to participate in the Canadian Agri-Tech Mission to China, which will take place from March 19th to the March 23rd, in the cities of Beijing and Zhengzhou, China.
The mission will focus on establishing industrial R&D collaboration opportunities (specifically technology validation, adaptation and co-development)
Canadian Delegate Profile
Canadian delegates to the “Canadian Agri-Tech Mission to Canada” should meet the requirements below in order to benefit from this initiative:
- Capacity and interest to co-develop technology with Chinese partners
- Committed to aggressive growth and global market expansion
- Sufficient working capital to undertake a multi-year R&D collaboration and commercialize the results
- Experience in commercializing technology for domestic or international markets
The Canadian Agri-tech mission to China will take in conjunction with the Agriculture Investment and Innovation Forum being held in Beijing on March 20th and in Zhengzhou on March 22nd.
China’s cities like Beijing are responsible for the large majority of Chinese STI projects in Canada. Other cities, like Zhengzhou, still have significant economies and opportunities for collaboration, and they experience less competition from other government and other countries’ companies. Missions coupling both sized cities have been found to be particularly effective. Zhengzhou is the capital of Henan, one of China’s leading provinces in terms of agricultural production, as well as government support for upgrading of industries and technology collaboration. Potential partners in Zhengzhou have already expressed interest in support this event. The target for participants in Beijing and Zhengzhou events will be 120 and 100 respectively.
Areas of focus for the mission include:
- Food processing
- Value added food ingredients ( e.g. alternative proteins, oilseeds and essential fatty acids, bio fortification, fractionation, (essential) oil extraction)
- Precision and smart agriculture
Description of the Initiative
As the most populous country in the world, China’s demand for agriculture commodities, processed foods, and technologies is massive. Sophisticated agriculture companies are also seeking new markets for their goods and integration with international supply chains.
Significant opportunities exist for Canadian companies interested in joint research and development or commercialization opportunities in China. The Embassy of Canada to China has conducted a number of meetings with potential local partners including research centers, local science and technology authorities, agriculture companies and potential investors. Chinese companies with research, development, and investment capabilities have shown strong interest to work with Canadian companies/research institutions to develop innovative technologies and products.
Financial Support for Travel to the Mission
Travel support may be available for eligible participants. The Canadian International Innovation Program (CIIP) may provide financial support for 50% of all eligible expenses such as airfare, hotels, and transportation (see application process below).
How to Apply for Participation
- Completed application forms should be sent to NRC-IRAP’s Industrial Technology Advisors (ITA) Tamara Kononoff (Tamara.Kononoff@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca) or Birgit Nielsen (Birgit.Nielsen@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca) and Embassy of Canada Trade Commissioner Michael Dodd (Michael.Dodd@international.gc.ca) by no later than February 16th. Applications received after that date cannot be considered.
- Companies interested in receiving funding to support travel costs will be provided with a template for completing a draft work plan and budget to participate in the mission.
- The selection decision of those companies will involve a review of the completed applications by the Canadian Embassy in Beijing and the NRC IRAP ITA officer. Selected applicants will be notified no later than February 20, 2018.
- Companies formally selected to participate in the mission, who have expressed an interest in applying for travel support, will be contacted by Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa and asked to provide additional information. Companies will be notified of the decision on travel funding support, no later than February 28, 2018.
- Date Modified: