Funding that helps your company grow into global markets
CanExport SMEs is a competitive program with limited funding. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are allocated.
Important Message about CanExport SMEs
While community transmission of COVID-19 and the Omicron variant remain omnipresent in many countries, CanExport will continue supporting non-travel activities to help SMEs explore new international markets. We continue to encourage virtual participation to international trade events, meetings and conferences.
For travel related activities, applicants are responsible of ensuring that the planned destination travel advisory risk levels allow for travel activities to take place, before submitting an application. Applicants are encouraged to make informed decisions to minimize risks and protect their health and that of their employees. Please refer the Government of Canada Travel Advisories for the most recent information.
CanExport SMEs reserves the right to deny travel funding requests for any reason, at our sole and absolute discretion.
NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS :
CanExport SMEs has changed its cost-sharing formula to 50:50. The program now funds up to 50% of eligible costs for $10,000 to $50,000 in funding per project. The applicant is responsible for the remaining 50% of eligible project costs (in-kind contributions are not permitted).
Small and medium sized companies may access up to $50,000 in funding to assist with international market development activities. We cover up to 50% of costs for export marketing of your products and services in international markets where you have little or no sales.
What activities do we fund?
We support the following non-travel activities:
Gathering market intelligence (custom research, reports and studies)
Applying for intellectual property protection in international markets
Applying for certification in international markets
Seeking expert legal and business advice
Search Engine Optimization
Translating, adapting or creating marketing materials
Attending virtual trade shows, networking functions, meetings or conferences
Based on Government of Canada Travel Advisories, we may also support:
Visits to foreign markets
In-person participation at trade shows, networking functions, meetings or conferences
Participating in a trade mission
Who can apply?
Eligible Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises must:
be an incorporated legal entity, limited liability partnership (LLP) or cooperative
have a Canada Revenue Agency business number
employ fewer than 500 full-time equivalent employees
have $100,000 to $100 million in declared revenue in Canada during its past fiscal year (or 12 months for quarterly filers)
- If we approve your project, the start date of the funding agreement (the date that your expenses are eligible) will be the date that you submitted your project unless:
- 1) you applied after December 15 of the current fiscal year; or
- 2) the program runs out of funds for the current government fiscal year. In those two instances, the start date will be April 1 of the following government fiscal year.
- Export brokers in the agriculture and agri-food sector may be eligible to the program, provided they meet Canadian content requirements.
- The program now supports costs tied to online advertising on social media platforms, online marketplaces and search engines.
- Expert advice for digital and e-commerce marketing (Category F) is now eligible.
- Date Modified: