Business opportunities for women
Become certified as a women-owned business to unlock opportunities in international markets.
Tap into supplier diversity programs
Supplier diversity programs encourage major corporations and governments to include diverse suppliers in their supply chains. This means they proactively buy goods and services from businesses owned or led by Indigenous, LGBTQ2, visible minority and women entrepreneurs, among others.
Benefits of certification
You must certify your Canadian women-owned business to take advantage of supplier diversity opportunities. To be eligible for certification, your business must be at least 51% owned, managed and/or controlled by one or more women.
The benefits of certification include:
- Qualifying for supplier diversity procurement programs so you can sell to corporations and governments
- Accessing new markets and opportunities at supplier diversity conferences
- Taking part in supplier diversity events hosted by large multinationals
- Networking with buyers and purchasing managers at matchmaking events
- Accessing advocacy, mentorship and training through organizations supporting certified women-owned businesses
- Receiving recognition for the unique characteristics that make you stand out from the competition
The Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) can answer your questions about certification.
“Certification as a women-owned business definitely fits into our growth strategy, not only for networking but also for recognition and credibility. Certification has resulted in leads, including with multinationals I met on a recent trade mission. I’m certain it will continue to open doors as we grow.” – Nathalie Roemer, Co-founder of Optimas Management Group
Promoting growth for women-owned businesses
Approximately 97% of Fortune 500 companies have supplier diversity programs. By accessing these programs, you place your business on a level playing field with other certified suppliers in your industry and fast-track your company’s growth.
Contact one of the following organizations to learn more about certifying your business:
- Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC)
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (CCAB)
- Canadian Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- WBE Canada
- WEConnect International in Canada
Join one of our business delegations
The TCS helps Canadian women-owned and women-led businesses identify opportunities and obtain contracts with large corporations and governments. Business delegations to supplier diversity events designed for women-owned businesses enable these opportunities, as well as opportunities to network with certified women-owned businesses, and to meet buyers from multinational companies.
If you’re considering certification, join one of our upcoming women-focused business delegations.
International business delegations and events
Connect with Business Women in International Trade (BWIT)
Questions or need support
- Email the BWIT team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the conversation
- Date Modified: